We got featured in
Imagine a society where women are encouraged to speak, participate, and lead. Can you? Or does it feel more like the world John Lennon famously pined for in “Imagine”?
Seeing and hearing women speak their truth
And that is exactly what Juliette Roy, founder of Be Your Change, is creating. I had the pleasure of interviewing Roy and discussing this ideal vision and why it is all so important.
Let’s start with the basics. Why did you start Be Your Change, and why does it matter?
Juliette Roy: The Be Your Change podcast was created to inspire people to create positive change, consume less and better, use empathy as a tool of resistance, and take actions big or small that have an impact on the world. I know a lot of us feel a sense of urgency right now because it’s past time for women to have more power and recognition in our society.
The Be Your Change podcast was created with two ideas in mind:
- to inspire people to create positive change, consume less and better, use empathy as a tool of resistance, and take actions big or small that have an impact on the world.
- to educate about the impact of living in a male-dominated media ecosystem and the needs to bring more women voices to media .
The Be Your Change podcast was created because:
- Only 7.4 percent of the nation’s commercial TV Stations are owned by women.
- Only 10 percent of the top Apple podcasts in the U.S are produced by from women.
- Only 5 percent of the people creating sounds and messages in our lives are women. (Women’s Audio Mission)
- Only 26 percent of characters in a leadership role in a movie last year were women.
We want to answer the question, “What would the world look like if women were in control of what we saw and listened to?”