February 24th is the beginning of Fair Trade Fortnight, an annual promotional campaign that happens once a year and is organized and funded by the Fairtrade Foundation. These two weeks are meant to increase awareness of Fairtrade products, and the companies selling them. Here at BYC, we understand this mission and hope to shine a light on some of the incredible companies who are taking a stance and making an impact.
One way we can help as consumers is to start buying fair trade and consciously-made products which are produced by women. We can also favor companies with women founders and we can help to accelerate their path to a better future. Based on research published in Forbes, women reinvest up to 90% of their income back into their families and communities, as compared to 40% for men. There is another statistic that suggests an approximately 70% of individuals living in poverty are women.
At Be Your Change, we carefully select products that will inspire you and maximize your impact. We’ve made a selection of fair trade companies for you to choose from.
1.Elisha C This online shop aims to help end poverty by providing job security, child education, and tools to combat poverty. We love the classy finds and unique kimonos, everything is affordable as well.
2. Neococo You will definitely adore the selection of sweatshirts this online shop has to offer. They’re perfect for your Instagram pictures (hashtag #SweaterWeather). Aside from its fashionable look, your purchase will help the company create jobs for displaced women. Buying their featured products will help them regain their identity and restart their lives. Check out the site and start putting items in your cart!
3. Serrv This shop boasts homemade products that are not just environmentally-friendly, they help empower artisans and farmers. These eye-catching products were created with passion and designed to support optical care to thousands of artisans around the world who are suffering from vision loss.
4. The Little Market If you want to help women who are trying to make ends meet while purchasing something with exceptional quality, this website is your go-to. From candles to bags and home accessories, there are plenty of finds to fit every budget. How awesome it is to shop and help at the same time! 5. Dressember Dressember has a unique mission to help end human trafficking while making purchases that allow fashionable self-expression. If you commit to wearing a dress or a tie, every day for a month, you can become an active participant in this wonderful campaign. Join the movement now by clicking on their website!
6. Fillgood.co This website is perfect for anyone aiming to live a zero-waste lifestyle or for those who are just trying to make the world a better place. Fillgood’s mission is focused on reducing waste while having a minimal environmental footprint. Their products are safe and do not harm people or the ecosystem.
7. Indego Africa Indego Africa focuses on providing local and raw materials that are of high quality and durable. Everything is carefully handcrafted and comes from natural resources such as sweetgrass, palm leaf, bolga straw, and banana leaf. Visit their website and see for yourself how Indego creates jobs for artisans and educates women and youth across Africa.
8. Refushe Women are the hope of society – they are tough and unbreakable. They may be vulnerable at times, but once each storm has passed, they come out stronger and more mature. In this online shop, they intensify women’s skills to survive. They help young refugee women heal, grow and become the best version of themselves. Check out an awesome scarf and donate!
9. Islenas Look good, feel good and do good: You can set and accomplish these goals for yourself by heading to this website! Be on the lookout for stylish espadrilles made and crafted from Puerto Rico with love. The shop partnered with sustainability platform Retazo and non-profit Centro Sor Isolina Ferre to design and implement a training and manufacturing program that is providing an opportunity to women in different sectors with diverse backgrounds. Talk about Women’s Empowerment!
10. AKS This online shop helps artisan women living in Pakistan. AKS Sneakers produce limited edition and sustainable sneakers that are comfortable, affordable and fashionable. Every piece was made with love! Designed in San Francisco, the materials are organic and natural so you also help the environment by purchasing their products.
11. The Tote Project The Tote Project’s mission is to help end human slavery. Every time you buy a tote, you help empower six survivors of sex trafficking to pursue their dream job. This is the perfect time for us to spread love and positivity, so consider checking out the beautifully crafted bags and help us raise awareness about human trafficking.
12. Carry the Future “The youth of the nation are the trustees of posterity.” Children should always be a priority and therefore be cared for. Carry the Future partnered with trusted organizations to fund projects that improve the quality of life for the children and families they serve. You can help them fulfill their mission by making a donation on their website to help them provide critical aid including clean diapers, baby beds, newborn supplies, hygiene kits, and more. You can also check out their online store here for a great selection of jackets, mugs and other types of apparel.
13. Made with a Purpose Lend a helping hand for the new year and buy hand-sewn bags from this site. Each purchase will help six women unlock their full potential with a stable job. This Texas-based company opens women’s eyes to a broader world view and allows them to explore opportunities they may have never known possible. Check out these hand-sewn bags. You won’t regret your purchase while also empowering these women from India! Let’s begin the new year and the new decade in the spirit of generosity and giving.
If you want to learn more about fair trade and how you help women with your purchases please listen to our recent episodes featuring Karrie Putksas and Anna Lecat.
Let’s remember to support one another and become advocates online or in real-time! Go ahead and support these websites, not only you will gain valuable possessions, but you’ll also gain a sense of fulfillment knowing that you made an impact on our world.
Learn to podcast, share your work, ready to jump to get your voice out there in the sphere of women change-makers, be sure to register for our podcasting retreat for March 2021!