In our first episode of ‘Be Your Change, the podcast to create the world you want to live in’, we are looking at the impact of plastic waste on our lives and how we can reduce the use of disposable plastics by changing how we consume and looking at small actions that can make a difference. Every year eight million tons of plastic trash flow into our oceans. That’s about five grocery bags filled with plastic for every foot of coastline in the world.Juliette Roy talks to Stephanie Regni, the founder of FillGood, a zero-waste refill service company, for home and body in San Francisco.
What You’ll Learn
Learn about the impact of using plastic straws in the world and why recycling plastic is not a solution. Robert Reed, spokesman for Recology, a worldwiYe employee-owned company known for their success in managing waste and having high recycling rates provides some context on waste management. They have about 45 sites across the West Coast.
The best quote from the show
When I talk about plastic waste I’m talking about single use plastic waste especially because they are really the ones that don’t make sense anymore.
We have plenty of opportunities to consume less and to consume better. And I think this is something that we really need to think about and to integrate. Stéphanie Regni
What to remember
- Plastic Straws should be a no-no
- You will never think about plastic in the same way
- Entrepreneurs and countries are stepping up
Learn more about reducing your plastic use for a happier planet, life, and wallet!
- Zero Waste – videos and tips in French
- Bea Johnson’s tips and resources on how to achieve a ZerowasteHome
- Visit Fillgood to learn more about what you can do in your house
- Visit Recology website to learn more about recycling in the world and in the U.S
- Learn more about Composting
- Watch the movie Demain
- Check out circle of lights recommendation and organizations to support